Housing Benefit

shamal

Can anyone tell me what it a possible delay for receiving housing benefit. My tenant, who now hasn't paid any rent for 7 months, supposedly applied in early August but hasn't received anything yet. Is this possible or is he leading me up the garden path?

Can anyone tell me what it a possible delay for receiving housing benefit. My tenant, who now hasn't paid any rent for 7 months, supposedly applied in early August but hasn't received anything yet. Is this possible or is he leading me up the garden path?

Yes you are are heading up a very long garden path! Why has it taken so long for him to apply?

Even DSS aren't THAT slow!!!!

Yes. I've been taking the softly, softly approach as the tenant has supposedly been ill but I think I've been taken for a prize mug by both the tenant and the property management agent (who hasn't taken any action at all).

I suspect that the tenant is receiving the housing benefit and just not paying the rent with it. I'm thinking of writing to the local housing benefit office and letting them know that - although I don't have a reference number.

Any suggestions as to what I can do about the agent? They do not seem to be members of any professional bodies but what about trading standards?

It's in the hands of my solicitor now but I'm going to end up thousands out of pocket.

Yes. I've been taking the softly, softly approach as the tenant has supposedly been ill but I think I've been taken for a prize mug by both the tenant and the property management agent (who hasn't taken any action at all).

I suspect that the tenant is receiving the housing benefit and just not paying the rent with it. I'm thinking of writing to the local housing benefit office and letting them know that - although I don't have a reference number.

Any suggestions as to what I can do about the agent? They do not seem to be members of any professional bodies but what about trading standards?

It's in the hands of my solicitor now but I'm going to end up thousands out of pocket.

Never give out keys until your tenant turns up with the completed DSS forms. Check them and if poss post them yourself. Write a letter to the DSS and get your tenant to sign it to enable you to contact the DSS on their behalf by phone, post or in person and countersign the letter. Even if you knew the claim number, the DSS are unable to talk to you about the claim due to data protection unless you have signed consent. My advice is to be in control as much as poss after all it's you who loses out however good your agent may be

Good advice. However, this was a good tenant for the first couple of years and ran a local business. Seemed to be a genuine case of falling on hard times and I was prepared to be sympathetic and give him time to sort himself out. Big lesson! Next time I won't rely on the agent and I will get them straight out.

Something that might be useful to other landlords in a similar situation - I have discovered how to report the tenant for possible fraud with respect to the housing benefit. If he is receiving it, they now know that he isn't paying his rent with it.

Archived