Final check for a new landlord

Jubilee

I am new to this. And not using a solicitor or agent and privately renting out. I have a mortgage. Have I covered everything I need to do prior my tenant moving in. The house is unfurnished.

I have

-Checked her landlord reference, employers, passport and bank statements

- changed mortgage to an approved one for letting

- changed to landlord insurance

- done electric, gas, energy performance certificates

- served notice for ground 2 part1 schedule 2 of housing act1988 to her

- got the inventory

anything else? Thanks.

J

Here's my check list:.....they nearly all apply to you and some of them you haven't mentioned....No 18 is extemely important..

The most important thing that any potential landlord can do is choose their tenants very very carefully.....have you ?

1. Get Referencies.....bank, employer and previous landlord.

2. Take out rent guarantee insurance.....its not expensive.

3. Get a home owning guarantor. Carry out reference checks on the guarantor. Give the guarantor a copy of the AST. Make sure the guarantor document is drawn up as a deed.

4. Don't let to people with pets or children......the risk of them giving you problems are big.

5. Don’t let to anyone under 18 (minors). Draw up your own limits….I prefer nobody under 25.

6. Don't let to smokers........you won't get rid of the smell.

7. Don’t do Company lets.

8. Don’t let to anyone on Housing Benefits.

8a. If you do choose to let to applicants on Housing Benefit CHECK that your mortgage & freeholder (if your property is leasehold) allows it.

9. Don't let to anyone who isn't working full time.

10. Inspect properties every 3 months.

11. Only let initially on a 6 month AST.....that way you can both part company after 6 months if you don't get on.

12. Use a reputable Lettings Agent OR one who has been recommended OR do it yourself (only if you know what to do).

13. Meet your tenants personally. Make sure you ask all the right questions and gauge whether they are right for you.

14. Protect the deposit in one of the official schemes.

14a. If you have a dispute with your tenant(s) over deductions from the deposit remember…..you can either go through the DPS adjudication process OR take the tenant to the Small Claims Court for recovery of your losses where you may have a better chance of success.

15. Issue a section 21 notice as soon as the deposit has been protected.

16. Make sure there is a detailed inventory & schedule of condition……signed by both parties.

17. Remember its a business....so avoid emotion & being overly sympathetic to your tenants.

18. Read as much as you can about renting & letting i.e. educate yourself.

19. Don’t let to anyone who doesn’t speak or understand English.

20. Don’t forget that you will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)…….before you market the property.

21. Don’t forget to get an annual Gas Certificate.

22. You are responsible for ensuring anything electrical in the property is safe so consider getting the electrics checked professionally….and any appliances you provide.

23. Try to avoid having your property classified as an HMO……meeting regulations is expensive and time consuming.

24. Make sure all adults living at the property are on the AST & any other documents.

PLUS:

* Most of us add many more clauses to our tenancy agreement than are in a standard one.

* Understand the different taxes .....income tax on rental income, capital gains tax on capital items & separate allowances for capital expenses.

* Understand your tax allowances and what you can offset.

Archived