No tenancy agreement

Rob_A1

Dear All,

I have a house that I rent out to a friend of the family. There is no tenancy agreement and I now want to sell my house.

How much notice do I need to give??? There was never an agreement on length of tenancy and I want to sell the house ASAP.

I am prepared to pay the bond for another house for the tenant, but they are asking for money in compensation. There was never an agreement wirtten or verbally...

I wanted to avoid going through any formal process.

Any helpful information or advice would be most helpful,

Regards,

R

Dear All,

I have a house that I rent out to a friend of the family. There is no tenancy agreement and I now want to sell my house.

How much notice do I need to give??? There was never an agreement on length of tenancy and I want to sell the house ASAP.

I am prepared to pay the bond for another house for the tenant, but they are asking for money in compensation. There was never an agreement wirtten or verbally...

Regards,

R

ooops! Don't know why I have repeated the above!

Well, so much for a Family Friend!...........There are NO friends in the Letting Tenancy Business!..... Rule No 1!

You have a verbal contract so 2 Months Notice should be sufficient however, saying one thing and your 'friend' moving out is another.

They are NOT entitled to any compensation whatsoever so make that clear to them.

A Tenancy Document is highly advisable I would say next time you decide to let to anybody including friends.

Mel.

ooops! Don't know why I have repeated the above!

Well, so much for a Family Friend!...........There are NO friends in the Letting Tenancy Business!..... Rule No 1!

You have a verbal contract so 2 Months Notice should be sufficient however, saying one thing and your 'friend' moving out is another.

They are NOT entitled to any compensation whatsoever so make that clear to them.

A Tenancy Document is highly advisable I would say next time you decide to let to anybody including friends.

Mel.

Many thanks for your information

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob

As a landlord whether you rent your accommodation to a friend or some one you don’t know the people you are renting to automatically become a tenant, because you had a verbal agreement to rent your property to your friends doesn’t take your rights or theirs away.

As there is know Assured Shorthold Tenancy your tenant automatically became a periodic tenant, this is the same as AST but the difference is that with an AST you have to give a six month’s notice at the beginning and their after a 2 months notice. With a periodic tenant they became a month-by-month tenant, and the notice for this is a two- month notice. You do not have to give them any compensation for giving notice. If they refuse to go then you will have to go through the legal root for eviction. Ps best place to go to for advice is www.direct.gov.uk they give on line advice to landlords and tenants which is very useful

Hi Rob

As a landlord whether you rent your accommodation to a friend or some one you don’t know the people you are renting to automatically become a tenant, because you had a verbal agreement to rent your property to your friends doesn’t take your rights or theirs away.

As there is know Assured Shorthold Tenancy your tenant automatically became a periodic tenant, this is the same as AST but the difference is that with an AST you have to give a six month’s notice at the beginning and their after a 2 months notice. With a periodic tenant they became a month-by-month tenant, and the notice for this is a two- month notice. You do not have to give them any compensation for giving notice. If they refuse to go then you will have to go through the legal root for eviction. Ps best place to go to for advice is www.direct.gov.uk they give on line advice to landlords and tenants which is very useful

Many thanks for your advice..

Dear All,

Regards,

R

Did you say friend? When did he move in. how long has he been there?

He wants compensation of which he isn’t entitled. There is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement by default virtue of 1996 housing act. You just need to get the dates right for the section 21 notice, and undertake after the expiry date a possession order. We can help.

If he was your friend he would co-operate, so he isn’t. Your reluctance to take proper steps means that he will play you for what he can get I suggest.

evicthem.co.uk

Eddie Morgan

Archived