Carpet Damage

AlanB

I have noticed what appears to be an iron mark on the living room carpet of the student house I let. The carpets throughout were new 2 mths ago, these students were the first tenants and signed an inventry / condition of furnishings log to that effect. I have not spoken to them about it yet and need to decide what to say to them about putting it right. Should I ask for full compensation to replace the carpet, or a % and leave the carpet down? I am holding a deposit from each student. The annoying thing is I provided a new ironing board for them to use.

Any advice would be welcome.

Can be difficult to quantify. The deposit isn't there on a new for old basis regardless of the nature and extent of damage, but to reasonably compensate for replacement subject to age and condition, repair or diminuition dependant on the problem.

A judge might say that the carpet is still serviceable, a mat can be placed over the damage and unsightliness covered. £50 for lowering of inherent value and a new mat's about right but whatever you charge you need to be able to argue it if necessary. Sometimes helps to give a scale of charges as examples of the level of charges applied, before the start of the tenancy, though won't cover everything.

Unfortunately you cannot claim the whole cost of replacement back for a small burn mark. Even if the carpet was burnt through you would be looking at an insurance claim really. You need to talk to your Students and agree a reasonable level of compensation.

I've no doubt a small rug will possibly cover the burn mark or an insert piece of carpet professionally carried out.

Annoying as it all is, it is the trials and tribulations of being a Letting Landlord.

Archived