Tenant's references done by agent

fleming

We have been trying to find a tenant ourselves, but are now thinking of using an agent only to find a tenant, not manage the property due to lousy agent the last time. On phoning round agents, I have had varying responses when I asked if we are allowed to see the tenant's reference report. We suspect our previous agent did not check out our tenants properly and so we want to make sure the references are ok this time. Agents responses vary from "Yes. we send you a copy of the report" to "Oh No, the Data Protection Act won't let us show you it" (!) My gut feeling is to go with an agent who will show us the full report. Considering they will charge us one month's rent plus VAT, I think agents have a bit of a cheek to hide behind the Data Protection Act. One agent said we could view the report at their office, which I thought was a good solution to any concerns over breaching the Act. I am reluctant to use an agent but we need to get someone in our property soon.

There is absolutely no reason why you are not allowed to see the report.

Data Protection Act? Crap! Just remind the LA who he is working for and who is paying his/her wages!

My Agent always allows me to see and to discuss who is about to rent my property and that is how it should be....mutual discussion and agreement.

Hi fleming,

Why are you having difficulties finding a tenant yourselves - is there something wrong with it (that is putting prospective tenants off) - is the rent too high (compared with other properties locally) - are you advertising it in the right places / right way.

I am very much against using mainstream letting agents - they add very little value and simply sit in their (expensive) shops waiting for tenants to "pop in". I also think it is important for the landlord to 1) be able to read the credit report and 2) meet the tenant before a tenancy is established.

If you would like some help / pointers on how to find tenants yourself then please feel to email me at mark.trenfield@btopenworld.com.

Best Wishes,

Mark

Archived