Ceramic Taps

Richlist

You can buy new ceramic tap inserts RL .ebay is a good source. Should be easy enough to replace. I have replaced one or two over the years easily enough.

Whilst we are on the subject of taps. Avoid all these cheapy taps you see for under £20 on ebay. They will not last 6 months. Always buy quality taps like Peglar or any major named brand.

Yes I think you may have hit the nail on the head Melboy....certainly as far as I'm concerned. I did buy a couple of cheap kitchen taps from a well known high street shop but they were very cheap. They have lasted about 3 years and now drip. Lesson learned.

The big killer of ceramic tap inserts is fine particle grit sand often found in drinking water. That's right.... but they are minute particles and won't harm you or as in my area berluddy limescale Nothing lasts for long in my area especially hot water heating elements.

Yes my part of Essex is a hard water area as well so we tend to get thru immersion heater elements quite quickly.

I do use the incalloy ones and am considering the new ones that have a 20+ year guarantee but which cost considerably more. It's not so much the price of the element its that replacing them can be such an awfully job that I'd much prefer to avoid.

Same thing applies to elements in electric showers..they last around 4 years if we are lucky.....I've lost count of the number we have replaced.

I have started fitting low cost water softners in my properties. The mains power ones (low current draw of 1 amp) are around £20 and for those properties where the mains enters the property in the bathroom and there is no suitable mains socket, they do a basic magnetic clamp device for les cost. Well worth considering. Don't forget they are tax free.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a replacement kitchen tap from Screwfix. Item no 78570...

1. It has good feedback

2. Price is only £34

3. Looks like it uses tap washers so will be easily able to repair next time.

Lesson learnt......buying really cheap taps = false economy.

Anyone know how to fix a dripping ceramic tap ?

RL: Yes. Turn off water, remove cartridge, swill wet (valve) end under another tap, replace and try (10 minutes). If still drips - remove again, remove e-clip from handle spindle, push spindle down to disassemble from wet end, wash bits, re-assemble and try again (15 mins). If still drips, replace with new cartridge (trip to shop - money!).

I have ceramic 1/4 turn taps throughout my home in hard water area. Bits of scale deposit do occasionally get in between discs to cause drips but usually wash out successfully - replacement not necessary.

I prefer ceramic to washer type which drip as soon as washer starts to split or wear and soon gets wrecked when users try to overcome by turning off more tightly. Alternatively they leave it to drip, staining sinks, baths, etc. Gradual seal deterioration doesn't happen with ceramic tap.

My ceramics have lasted more than 10 years. A very occasional drip being solved as above.

I'm going to try to dissassemble, clean and if necessary replace the ceramic discs on the tap that's coming off. It all sounds quite easy to do so I'll give it a go. The replacement cartridges are readily available online.

Then I'll have a spare tap and know how to do it next time.

I'm going to try to dissassemble, clean and if necessary replace the ceramic discs on the tap that's coming off. It all sounds quite easy to do so I'll give it a go. The replacement cartridges are readily available online.

Then I'll have a spare tap and know how to do it next time.

Very easy to do RL.

I don't know why I was making such a fuss. It was easy to dismantle the tap (although different makes may not be quite as easy).

I've ordered a new cartridge for £4.57 off ebay.

There are numerous different designs & sizes of ceramic cartridge so it's just a case of buying the right one for your particular tap.

I'm guessing the cartridge could be replaced with the tap in situ ?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Chestnut clean and reassemble is always worth a try. With replacement, cartridges, the challenge is to match the spline on the spindle with the handle. The splines are not standard, so you may want to get a matching handle at the same time as the cartridge.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that, my experience has been with splined stems.  

So the general advice is take the existing handle to your supplier and ask for a ceramic insert with a stem that matches the handle, or plan to buy a new handle that matches the stem on the new cartridge. 

Bad advice.......there are a few key measurements that determine WHICH replacement insert is needed. Taking the handle won't do it. Removing the  cartridge and either taking it or the measurements will do it.

How the hell do you determine the tap manufacturer ?

There appears to be many hundreds of different designs, some very similar to one another if not identical and lots of fake copies around.

Do you have a 'tap dictionary' of some kind ?

My Son will only fit named brand quality taps like Peglar  Bristan,, Ideal Standard, etc. and will only fit supplied taps by the customer on the strict understanding that their ebay bargain tap at £12.99 or less will be of poor quality internally and will not last that long under harsh hard water area's and he is not liable as he only fitted the tap and not made the tap.

All the British made taps you can buy spares for them and most of the British manufacture's give a long guarantee on the finish and quality. I have a Bristan sink tap which is coming up to 10 years old now in a very hard water area and it still works and looks like new.

Well I would certainly agree with that. It's definitely a false economy to buy a cheap, unbranded tap.

I've learnt my lesson only recently as I'm now in the process of having a number of cheap kitchen mixer taps replaced. It would have been far cheaper in the long run to have bought and fitted good quality taps.

The only time a cheap tap makes sense is if you are refurbishing a property to then sell on.......buyers would never know as some of the cheaper ones look very good, they just don't last.

The only time a cheap tap makes sense is if you are refurbishing a property to then sell on.......buyers would never know as some of the cheaper ones look very good, they just don't last.

Yes, look at the new builds. It has got so bad with some of the bath, sink, kitchen taps that they are barely lasting 18 months. Everything to a contract price as far as the big companies are concerned and these items are not covered by major builder's guarantees after 12 months.

Bristan, for instance, now put a discreet etch of the company name on the back of all their taps and I believe Peglar and Ideal now do the same.

I'll add Franke and Hansgrohe to that list - I know they are not British but you can get the spares easily.  I have a Franke kitchen tape with water filter extra tap in the assembly which is now 15 years old and in daily use - was in my place and now in a rental property. I bought another one in a different finish when I re-did the kitchen. Expensive at the outset but good value long term.

Archived