Jump to content

Flooding the flat below


Recommended Posts

Hello Guys

I'm back!

Flat has been successfully let for 5 days now.

Since then, I've been round to fix them net curtains, repair a leak under the sink, change the fuse to stop the electric shower tripping the fuse box, and tonight - fix the leaking washing machine pipe.


As a leasholder, I can't find any info as to what might happen if my leaking flat damages the flat below.

The head landlord's insurance (building cover) mentions water leakage BUT not when it's sub-letted.

At the moment, I'm contemplating whether I should ask the tenants to allow me to rip of the 'glued together' (inherited of course - not my handiwork) bath panel to monitor the pipes there.

Any advise?

Lena x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I would!

I don't know the legal or insurance position for the flat below but I do know that consequencies of leaks can be very expensive.

Try to remove the panel carefully to avoid damage. I replaced mine with brass screws to enable easy and regular inspection after the shower water unknowingly found its way into the floor space and unexpectedly sometime later into the kitchen and lounge below (fortunately part of same property)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not necessarily. The shower specification should give the trip or fuse spec. required.

However, I am not an expert. I would hope that your electrical installer is qualified and has certified the work. This is recommended (if not mandatory) for rented property, particularly in the bathroom or kitchen where water is present.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi lena

as a guide;

if your shower if below 7.2kw should be on a 32a fuse and wired in 6mm cable,

if above 7.2kw but below 9.6kw it should be on a 40a fuse and wired in 10mm cable,

but this all depends on how the cable has been installed. the cable has to be able to carry a higher load than the fuse,

your shower should be installed as manufacturers instructions, re; cable size and fuse rating and protected by a rcd (usually)

as webb has mentioned he should have certified his work and issued you with a certificate.

changing a fuse board falls under notifiable work with regard to part p of the building regs so he should be a member of a governing body (niceic, elecse, napit etc) or building control should have been notified.

if there was a 32a fuse fitted i suspect that the cable will be 6mm, this could be ok, but depends on instalation details. so with out looking personally i cant give a def yes or no, but if i went to a job where a higher rated shower had been fitted and was tripping the fuse and my big brown book (electrictians bible) said 10mm cable, 10mm cable it would be or nothing!

have a word with your spark to see what he says. just ask him if the cable is sufficient for the 40a fuse.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...