Help! Paperwork-what kind?

LandLordo

Hi, just a quick question to keep me on track here, I'd be very grateful for some advice from the people in the know - say I have three rooms for rent in my big new flat, and I would be staying in the fourth bedroom, what paperwork should I use with my tenants?

Also would I need to register with the council to do this, or would you not recommend it?

Finally would this be totally illegal due to HMO licensing, or is this a different matter as I actually live in the property?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In my experience hmo licensing rules can change from council to council (i know it should`nt).

I was having a conversation with the man from my local council friday about renting rooms out in the house you live in and sharing bathroms/kitchen. He told me a single person is ok but a couple in the same room comes under hmo rules. So I then asked about a single mother with child in the same room and he said that was ok and did`nt come under hmo rules. Confused? I know I am

Hi!

Remember that from a tax perspective, renting furnished rooms in your home (that you live in) can qualify under 'Rent-a-room Relief' which would mean that the first £4,250 of rent received per annum can be received without paying tax. That is not per room however.

Regards

Sherena

Before you go down the route of HMO licensing, you might be classed as a landlord in residence and HMO regs may not apply if you are just renting out spare bedrooms. You may only need to use a license agreement, which avoids the security of tenancy for the occupant under ASTs and notice requirements.

Archived