Electrical Testing for let property

eddie22

Just looked up this thread as I've recently bought an old terraced property and am curious to check what status the wiring etc is in the house as some phases of lighting do not appear to be wires up correctly.

Although the circuits seem to be modern fusebox tripped and separated, some lights in the kitchen do not work and the 2-way switch in hall/landing only works if switch at top of stairs is switched on.

The property has had PIR reports each year 2006, 2007. So what is difference between a periodic and a standard inspection report. What sort of time would it take to do a 2 bed, 2 reception house? and cost? I'm thinking at least 2-3 hours.

I've had quotes from £85 to £210 +vat. How much would one exepect to pay for a PIR and standard report done for first time?

For renting is one required every 5 years? or recommended (but not compulsory) at each change of tenancy which could be every 6 months?

• 1 month later...

Hi CH1

I run a electrical inspection and testing company in Yorkshire,

A periodic inspection and test of the electrical installation is recommended every five years on a rental property and an inspection every year or at change of tenant, PAT testing should be carried out annually even on new appliances and as you say it is not compulsory,

it is not an offence to not have your electrical installation or appliances inspected or tested, the offence occurs if persons or livestock are injured or property is damaged, at which point the HSE get involved and can fine you upto £5000 for each law you have broken. (usually 3 HASAWA, EAWR & PUWER)

we allow the full day to carryout a PIR and charge £165.00 this usually means 5.5 to 6 hours at the property and 2 hours paper work

for the annual inspection we charge £65.00 and allow 2 hours at the property

For PAT Testing we charge £40.00 this covers the first 15 items and £2.00 for each additional item

ashdale-electricaltesting.co.uk

if you require any further information or advice please contact me direct

ashdalepat@hotmail.co.uk

Archived