Rent arrears - advice URGENTLY needed

apna11

:P I have tenants who are leaving but they owe me over 5 months rent. They have said they will pay back the rent owed after they have left and I have been on good terms with them.

Is there any standard document which I can use to agree and document the amount owed and a repayment agreement. I also want to use this document incase I ever need to go to court.

Thanks.

They will pay when they have left??? Yeah right! :P

Sorry to sound cynical, but if they are 5 months in arrears, I don't think think they are going to give you huge payment in back rent!

I'd suggest you get down to your local court and start proceedings to get your money back. They will be able to advise which forms you need. Make sure you do this before they leave otherwise you will need their new address (and I suspect they will not want to tell you!)

I'd probably serve a section 21 notice just to be sure they are actually going to leave!

Good luck in getting your money back!

Trevor.

Thanks for your reply.

The tenants have said they will pay me the outstanding rent and have given me their new address. I didn't want to go down the route of issuing a demand since I'm hoping a softly softly approach may be my best bet. With this in mind, I'd like to know if anything like a standard document exists for agreeing repayment of arrears. If not, can I put my own document together and what should it contain???

Hi,

you can use your own document and get this signed by the tenants that they agree to the amount owed. You can then use this in any future county court proceeding to recover the debt. You should obtain from the tenants their forwarding address, place of work and National Insurance number etc. You will need this if you wish to apply for attachment of earnings - you need to be able to chase where your tenants have gone. I would suggest you get as much money up front - This is because it may not prove worth while going through the court process to recover a bad debt.

Hope this is helpful.

Archived