TENANT MAY HAVE MOVED OUT

SPEEDTWIN

ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE?

IVE HAD A TENANT FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS ON FULL HOUSING BENIFIT AND HIS RENT HAS JUST BEEN INCREASED AND A NEW 6 MONTH AST ISSUED. THE PROBLEM IVE GOT IS IVE JUST GOT A LETTER FROM THE COUNCIL SAYING THE BENIFIT HAS STOPPED DUE TO THEM WAITING FOR MORE INFO AND HE HAS TO SIGN ON JOB SEEKERS AGAIN. BUT HE HAS DISAPEARED, I HAVE HEARD HE IS LIVING/STAYING WITH OLD GIRLFRIEND 30 MILES AWAY AND I CANT GET HOLD OF HIM. WHAT DO I DO IF HE DOESNT COME BACK, HOW LONG DO I WAIT????

This is one of the worst problems for landlords. You need to try and find out if it is true about him moving house.

Does the property look empty?

Is there any other evidence of him moving out?

In order for him to be an assured shorthold tenant, the tenant must occupy the dwelling-house as his only or principal home [s1 HA 1988]. Therefore if he is not occupying it in this way, then he has no protection under the Housing Act (though he may have protection under other legislation e.g. protection from eviction act 1977 etc.)

See what other information you can find out and DO NOT change the locks just yet!

Adrian Thompson

Guild of Residential Landlords

Archived