renting to students

Manny

Hello, I was thinking of renting my property out to students and I was told that I need to put inter-link smoke alarms and plus get an electrical certficate. I woundering by law how many smoke alarms do I need in my property. And which if any national body should my electrical certificate be certified by. Also, does the electrician have to be NICEIC or can he be certified by another body such as MIEE. Also, what ball part figure should the inter-linked alarms cost me to put in.

thanks

I've looked into this and this is how I understand it. Because you would have more than 1 student in, it is essentially an HMO (home of multiple occupancy) of which you have to conform to certain legislation. These are get an LM2 smoke alarm which is wired to the mains permanently (will need to be electrical standards and certified) fire protection (eg. fire blanket) and suitable fire escapes. Which most people think is too much for the small property or non professional landlord. The only way around this I have found (please correct me anyone if I cam incorrect) is to issue a Shared Assured Shorthold Tenancy. SHouldnt be a proble timing wise, the only tricky part is assigning the different rents if the tenants demand it (prob will). A soliciotor can draw up a contract. Hope this helps.

You would be permitted to have 2 persons (students/tenants) in which would not be classed as a HMO (excluding Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004 ("the Act"), this can be found in schedule 14 of the act.

Part 1 of the Act is the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, it is based on hazrds. If the local authority see fit to score your property as a category 1 with regards fire they can issue notice on you to get works done to reduce the hazard score.

If you have more than 2 students/tenants it will become a HMO by definition. If you have more than 5 students and is over three storeys high, in two or more households and they share at least one of the amentities it may require a HMO licence. Basements, mezzanine floors and attic rooms are now included as a storey.

Regardless of what tenancy agreements you have in place, the act is quite specific on what would be considered a single household, and students on a shared tenancy agreement would not be a single household, the new act has done away with this and replaced it with a far more detailed and complex meaning.

As long as the electrical contractor was Part P certified you can use any.

Costs can vary greatly depending on what system you require/recommend and what contractor.

• 3 weeks later...

Ring the housing officer at the local council if you want recommendations on fire safety precautions.

They will be fully into HMO License mode at the moment, but they should be able to give you advice on the recommended fire safety precautions for your property. Tell them it's for students. They should have good *practical* advice and these people do like you to call before you start any works... (you can avoid expensive mistakes this way). I've used them before and avoided a costly house purchase when I was told the detailed work required to make the property fire safe under new HMO rules.

If it's 3 storeys... then there's lots to do as the HMO process significantly improves fire safety for 3+ storey properties and multiple occupants. The downside about 3+ storey HMO properties is the silly things like bathroom locations and "sinks in each bedroom" (try installing those in a victorian property with students living in one of the ground front rooms...).

Archived