Late Rent

tony009

Hi,

Can anyone let me know what to write in a letter (to be forwarded via e-mail) to my tenant who is 3 days late paying the monthly rent. This would only be her 2nd payment since moving in and was due via standing order on the 1st July (her first payment was by cheque with her deposit). This of course may just be a banking error but i would like to politely bring the matter to her attention.

Therefore how do i word such a letter?

Many thanks,

T.

Hi,

Personally I would give your tenant a quick ring. I always think the personal touch helps to difuse a potentially tricky situation.

If you really want to write I would be polite but to the point. Say something like...

"I would just like to remind you that your rent was due on the 1st July and as yet I have not recieved it into my account. Please can you check with your bank that the standing order has been made correctly"

I would also include your bank details again to be sure she has them.

Incidentally, I always ask my tenants to set the standing order up before they move in and to provide a print out. That way I know it has been done.

Also most tenants will set the standing order up on the day the rent is due and therefore it can be 3-4 days until it reaches your account. A quick call to your bank manager should clarify if it is "in the system"

Don't worry... yet! :(

Trevor.

I have had this before where the tenant sets the standing order up for the day the rent is owed but due to the way all banks work it actually takes 3 working days to clear and become visible in your account. Could this have happened in your case?

I'd give it a few days and see if the rent turns up first befcore taking action.

Thanks

Tonik

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies. The money has now been paid therefore it does actually take 3 days to go through the 'system'. I wish i had know this info before -it would have saved a bit of worry. Once again many thanks.

Archived