House without an earth

Lizzy

I am in the process of letting out a very old ( 1630 but restored in1979) house. i called in an electrician to repair some loose sockets and to carry out an electrical inspection (Which I thought was essential legally - now I'm not sure). During the inspection it was discovered that the house has no earth, and that it is something our electricity supplier should have installed years ago. The electrician says I should contact the supplier and request it, if they won't do it the electrician can install a rod.

I'd like to know if all houses are earthed and how essential it is ?

the electricity supplier has no duty to install an earth, they may be able to do a PME upgrade but it depends on alot of things, they usually charge for this and the waiting time is usually quite long.

you can install an earth rod, but i would imagine if there is no earth at present there will be more updating req than just fitting a rod. main bonding, rcd's etc.

and on the question of how essential an earth is in a property, VERY B)

Lizzy,

The easy part of electrics is getting the equipment to go work, the skilled bit is ensuring that the system is safe (I.e. no fires, shock, sparks, explosions etc) when it fails or when electricity supply is damaged or interrupted - this safety cannot ever be achieved if you do not have a good earth connection.

GT

Archived