Jump to content

Residential landlord ?


Recommended Posts


I am about to write an "Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement" but I am not sure if this is the right document I need for the following reason:

I am moving abroad temporarily but I will need to come back to my home once a month for a couple of days.

I intend to let my 3 bedroom house to a friend, her partner and her sister. I agreed to a lower than the market rent with the agreement that when I come back every month I can stay in the smaller bedroom.

Would this qualify me as a residential landlord?

Which agreement should I put in place for such circumstance?

In the following pdf


I found that

If the landlord agrees to rent you accommodation for a period and you will have exclusive use of the

accommodation, the agreement will almost certainly be an assured or shorthold tenancy. If you do not

have exclusive use of any part of the accommodation, you are likely to have a licence to occupy, not

an assured or shorthold tenancy. The agreement will probably be a licence if the landlord has

specified that he or she requires unrestricted access to your room to provide services such as cleaning.

Thank you for your help.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...