New to this - Complicated arrangement?

spindrift

Great site! I wondered if anyone could help with this - I'm quite new to the landlord game. I've had my house for a year with a lodger (my only place of residence) and I am going abroad to work for a year (maybe longer, but a year in the first instance). Now the lodger wants to continue to rent and is happy to rent the whole house for a year - I am happy with this.

Now this is the complicated part - he wants to be able to sublet a room to another person to reduce his rent. The idea is that I sign the whole house agreement with him and he signs an agreement with a sublet person.

That way I just deal with my lodger seeing I am overseas. He has been a good lodger and in theory I am happy with this agreement.

I was wondering if anyone could advise of the best way to go about it or if it's a horrendous idea. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi I have a property which was initially going to be rented out as seperate rooms,but one of the tenants,before he moved in asked if he could rent the whole house off me.We agreed the rent and he has a couple of tenants living with him.He gave me the deposit and he knows he is responsible.It depends on your attitude to risk.Sounds like you could be o.k just doing a standard tenancy agreement with this chap.Good luck.Adam

Archived