Additional Agreements

Jessica

Hello,

I had a tenant move in who signed the agreement which included a clause to say no pets. After she'd been in a week she called to say that she did in fact have a huge dog.

To cut a long story short I agreed that she could keep the dog in the house. I took an additional £200 deposit specifically for any 'dog damage' and wrote out an additional agreement which she signed.

The additional agreement stated the clasue in the orginal agreement and that it had been agreed that the tenant may remain in the property with the dog on the following conditions:

* that the house and garden must be kept clear of any left over evidence of the dog,

* that the carpets must be cleaned by the tenant at the end of the tenancy and

* if there was a problem in attracting new tenants due to the presence of the dog, physical or otherwise, the tenant will be responsible for the rent for the delay between the present tenant leaving and a reasonable time up to the new tenant moving in.

She has proved to be a general pain, calling every five minutes about various non-issues. The last call was to say she wanted to keep her friends cat as well which I said no to. She was most put out and felt that because I'd allowed her dog to stay that I should allow her to have more pets. And now the comment that has prompted me to write this story....... she had taken my additional agreement to the Citizens Advice bureau and they told her that it wasn't enforceable.

She did also say that a plumber had told her that the central heating wasn't working because although we had snow at the time, she had to leave the heating on for more than 2 hours in the morning for the house to stay warm for 24 hours, so you can't take as gospel everything she says...... Apparently that was all the heating required to keep her last house warm even in winter.

I appreciate that the 'reasonable time' would be up for debate but I couldn't see why it wouldn't be enforceable as it's a black and white, and I think reasonable condition in relation to the subject matter.

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Archived