Change of Joint Tenant

BRM47

Dear all,

I have a house which is let, as a whole, to four joint tenants. The Assured Shorthold tenancy, having reached the end of its term, has been continuing as a Periodic tenancy. What action (contracts etc) is required on the change of one or more tenants?

Any advice on this will be much appreciated.

You could cancel this agreement and start a new one with the new names, but that would mean it would revert back to an AST again. If you want to avoid this then I guess you could just amend the original agreement to cross out the person leaving and list the new name. If you initialled the change, got the new tenant to sign and made sure all copies were altered then I would think it's legal. Anyone care to clarify?

It would probably be wise to put in writing to the new tenant that he is actually starting on a periodic tenancy just to be covered.

Trevor.

When one tenant gives notice to end the tenancy the tenancy will be terminated for all tenants.

If one new tenant then joins the household you will have created a new tenancy and even if you made this a periodic tenancy it would give them a new 6 months security of tenure as it does not qualify as a 'replacement tenancy'.

Archived