no tenanacy agreement - what are my rights

asha2012

i'm hoping someone can give me some advice....

4 months ago I 'rented' my house out to friends of my partner. They pay me a minimal rent (just enough to cover the mortgage). We agreed that we would review the situation every 6 months. Nothing has been put in writing and the couple that i have rented my house to have officially let thier property through a letting agent ( for one year, with a 6 month break clause)

The problem is that i now need to go back to my house for personal reasons. From looking at a few other posts on this site, it seems that i have no rights to my own property!! Can someone clarify where i stand? I really need to be back living in the security of my own home

Any help will be so gratefully received

in the absence of any written agreement you have created an assured shorthold tenancy, minimum term is 6 months. see s19a housing act 1988. You will be able to obtain possession by serving a s.21 notice. If they do not leave on expiry of your notice you will be able to issue a claim for possession. You only problem will be you will not be able to use the accelerated (paper claim) procedure and there will have to be a court hearing. You have certainly not lost your home!

i'm hoping someone can give me some advice....

4 months ago I 'rented' my house out to friends of my partner. They pay me a minimal rent (just enough to cover the mortgage). We agreed that we would review the situation every 6 months. Nothing has been put in writing and the couple that i have rented my house to have officially let thier property through a letting agent ( for one year, with a 6 month break clause)

The problem is that i now need to go back to my house for personal reasons. From looking at a few other posts on this site, it seems that i have no rights to my own property!! Can someone clarify where i stand? I really need to be back living in the security of my own home

Any help will be so gratefully received

You seem to have fallen into the 'doing someone a good turn' trap & unwittingly granted an AST as Law has said.

Have you discussed the situation with your tenants? They might see reason & move out but if not it'll be the legal repossession route which will take several months & cost a few hundred quid.

Next time a mate's homeless your response will have to be along the lines of 'tough, not my problem!'.

Archived