Insurance

weenie

Hi, just about to buy my first property to let. I know I need to get insurance but what is the difference between Landlord Insurance and Buy To Let Insurance, or are they actually the same thing?

I don't need buildings cover, just looking at contents, maybe liability too.

This question does not make much sense. If you 'buy to let' then you definitely need buildings cover. Just consider what would happen if the building burnt down and it was a total loss - you would be left paying a loan on just the land it was built on (if it was a freehold).

Public liability comes with the buindings insurance and I'm sure your lender will insist on some cover?

Mortitia

This question does not make much sense. If you 'buy to let' then you definitely need buildings cover. Just consider what would happen if the building burnt down and it was a total loss - you would be left paying a loan on just the land it was built on (if it was a freehold).

Public liability comes with the buindings insurance and I'm sure your lender will insist on some cover?

Mortitia

Sorry, didn't make myself clear when I said I didn't need buildings cover, of course I do and it's included in the service charge for the apartment I'm buying - that's why I don't need to buy it separately.

Hi Weenie,

I'd check what is included in the buildings insurance as things like kitchen units often are. Personally I never do contents insurance on lets. If tenant damages then it comes off the deposit and I make it clear from the start that tenants need to get their own contents insured.

Mortitia

Hi Weenie,

I'd check what is included in the buildings insurance as things like kitchen units often are. Personally I never do contents insurance on lets. If tenant damages then it comes off the deposit and I make it clear from the start that tenants need to get their own contents insured.

Mortitia

Thanks - the deposit thing didn't even occur to me!

Archived