Help please council being a nightmare

sammye

I have a nice couple with a baby who have been good tenants for the last year paid rent always on time when Council wasnt messing about with the rent.

I had a 1 year assured tenancy with them which was a direct let through the Council which ends on the 9/06. The tenants asked me to write a letter to the Council saying that I would not continue to rent to them as the tenancy was up. They wanted me to do this because the place was too small for them due to them having a baby and the council told them to do it. I did that for them as I said they were good tenants and nice.

Anyway the Council has now turned round to them and told them when the tenancy is up to refuse to hand over the keys and not move and they will not rehome them until they are being taken to Court and the balliffs are knocking on the door!?

I cant believe it!? Surely that cant be right!?

The tenants are suggesting they just pack their bags and give the keys back to me and turn up at the Council forcing them to rehome them...

Any thoughts please guys?

If I was you take up T offer immediately do not waste anymore time but get them first to write you a letter to the effect that they are leaving the property because the place is too small for them and that they are voluntarily relinquishing the tenancy with immediate effect so that they can not get back in again later if they change their mind. Once T is out change the locks immediately as I can guarantee that they will be back in less than an hour as the council do not rehouse anyone who voluntarily makes himself homeless. You have no idea how expensive and what a long process it would be to evict T even with their cooperation which might even evaporate when they find out the council is offering them an even less attractive property to live in which always happen when things are moving fast with little choice available.

Guest caravanj

The council are trying it on because the family are homeless as soon as their legal notice has expired. Threaten to sue the the council or take them to the Omdudsman.

Sammye

Tenant has tried to manipulate council into giving them bigger property. This is how they go about it - if tenant leaves now council will say they deliberately made themselves homeless and will NOT help them but if you take out S21 which will cost you £££'s then at expiry in 8 weeks time council will re-home tenants.

All totally wrong but there you are! Couple probably had baby to help their housing chances - disgraceful!!

Mortitia

Archived