Tenants' contents insurance

Piglet

Hello,

Following a small fire, we have discovered that our tenants have not insured their own contents. This is a clause in their tenancy agreement.

My question is - what problems does it cause me as a landlord for them not to insure their contents (it is a furnished house, but they own computers, TVs, bikes etc.) and also can I force them to insure their contents. If they don't, is this a breach of the tenancy agreement?

Thanks.

If they don't insure their own contents then they cannot claim off yours. How did this fire start - were they responsible?

A lot of people (myself included) see contents insurance as dead money and fires are rare. I don't see how you can force tenants to insure and technically it is a breach of the agreement.

Claim on your own insurance for the furnished goods lost that are yours.

Mortitia

Hi again,

So - if they don't have contents insurance and there is a fire they can't claim against my insurance (assuming I wasn't to blame)?

The fire started in a paper / cardboard recycling bin. It is likely that it was a discarded cigarette but there will be no way to prove this. It was either the fault of the tenants or a mysterious third party arsonist (seems unlikely that someone randomly snuck into the back garden in the middle of the night to start a fire but for "blame" purposes there is no 100% certainty).

The damage was mostly to the outside - a patio door, guttering, rendering - so there will be no contents insurance to claim on. It's our second fire in three years (the first was a different property) so Im dreading telling the insurance company!

I'm considering asking them to pay the policy excess - £250.

Thanks, Piglet

Yes. I would have a go at trying to get the excess off them.

No they cannot claim off your insurance

Think about getting metal recycling bins - they are on ebay . This will show your insurer you are taking precautions. I am not sure I would claim on this as your premium will shoot up. Do you need to?

Mortitia

I'm not sure - will cost around £1,500 to repair.

I just don't know if I want to try to pursue the tenants for the cost of repair - even if it's likely that one of them caused the fire - how to prove it, how to prove which one (they have conflicting stories of the event) and how to extract the money! I don't know if I have the energy for the fight if the outcome is uncertain.

Thanks, Piglet

Archived