Another blow for Housing Benefit

RachaelDraper

The government are changing the rates of Housing Benefit for everyone under 35, from 2012 the government plan to give all single tenants under the age of 35 the shared room rate which currently applies to those under 25 at the moment. The rate where we currently operate is around £50 a week for shared room rate so we really do not rent to those who are single and under 25 as they cannot afford to rent and certainly not the top-up.

This is a massive blow to us as well as all those under the age of 35 wanting to rent. It may be the case that we cannot rent to anyone on Housing benefit under 35.

There are not enough bedsits or accommodation for those who are under 25 and only get £50 a week at the moment and there will not be enough when these new rules come into effect.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/6512141.article?PageNo=1&SortOrder=dateadded&PageSize=10#comments Further info here

I don't think I am the only one on this site who thinks social landlords have driven up rental prices in this sector under the Labour government and now it is correction time!

I might think about creating more bedsits if I was a social landlord as I don't think Labour will be back for some time.

Mortitia

• 3 weeks later...

The whole system (social housing) seems very badly managed and the biggest losers will be the unemployed who are forced to rely on state help until circumstances improve. I suspect landlords will increasingly pull out of housing benefit claimants, creating a bigger social housing crisis.

Archived