who do I elect to manage my property?

helenmarshall

Many Thnaks to Mortitia for helping me as I'm new here.

What I need to know still is as follows:

I am planning to rent the property myself, I have tenants I already know and all the normal procedures are applying. I am not usinga letting agent, my cousin is a solicitor so legally I have all my housing contracts overseen too. The main question is I am not happy the tenants approaching me direct. I am considering using my parents or a trusted friend and employing them to manage the property, receive emails, calls and collect the rents. The question is if I pay them say £200 a month to do this can I then claim it back as allowable expenses as I would a letting agent via HMRC?

Thanks!

Am I reading this right? You plan to act like a tenant yourself and not the owner whilst getting a third person to collect rents and deal with the everyday traumas that tenants throw at landlords?

On the expenses question - you would have to get a signed receipt from the persons acting as your agent and they would have to declare this income. You could submit this as part of your accounts.

Hi Mortitia,

I think maybe in my previous thread I was considering staying in the property. I've decided now its too complicated and am takinga room in a friends house renting elsewhere. So yes I'd rather have someone receive emails, calls, collect rent etc much liek a letting agent for me, but employ a friend or relative to do it as opposed to have that direct contact with tenants, especially when on ho0liday etc it makes sense. I wondered whetehr I coudl pay a relative and still calculate as allowable expenses. Thanks so much.

Am I reading this right? You plan to act like a tenant yourself and not the owner whilst getting a third person to collect rents and deal with the everyday traumas that tenants throw at landlords?

On the expenses question - you would have to get a signed receipt from the persons acting as your agent and they would have to declare this income. You could submit this as part of your accounts.

Ah I see its because I said I was going to rent the property myself, that meant not go througha standard expensive letting agent

Archived