3 Questions Landlords Should Ask Before Showing A Tenant Your Property

sjcollett

Yes that is a good build. Thanks

MMMMmmmm OK but I always start my contact converstion with ''what is your situation at the moment?'' Or if using an agent get them to screen out the time wasters - that is what they are there for.

Any other tips on this?

Mortitia

I always ask, in a roundabout sort of way, about their current home and their current landlord. Red flags include complaints about their current landlord or their current rental property ("My landlord is such a bum man he won't fix $h1t in that dump"), which let you know right off the bat that the tenant is probably going to have the same attitude towards you.

I also make sure to gauge their reactions when I tell them I'll be running a credit report, criminal background check, eviction history, and bounced check history. If they get nervous or start making pre-emptive excuses it's another bad sign.

Best of luck screening tenants,

Brian

Free Rental Application

Yes Brian you are very right indeed! Thanks

sam

I always ask, in a roundabout sort of way, about their current home and their current landlord. Red flags include complaints about their current landlord or their current rental property ("My landlord is such a bum man he won't fix $h1t in that dump"), which let you know right off the bat that the tenant is probably going to have the same attitude towards you.

I also make sure to gauge their reactions when I tell them I'll be running a credit report, criminal background check, eviction history, and bounced check history. If they get nervous or start making pre-emptive excuses it's another bad sign.

Brian

Free Rental Application

• 3 weeks later...

Brian

Free Rental Application

Gotta say I had to check on your link Brian to see what you did and where. The states!!

I don't know of anyone who runs a criminal background check on tenants in this country. (It would take too long to do a CRB on every tenant anyway and we've had voids all over the place) It's something I have thought of but then on second thoughts why would I do that?? What would the information do in making my mind up on a tenancy approval? Does it matter really if someone has a record or is it the actual conviction I'm interested in?

What are people's thoughts on this and does anyone KNOW an agent that does similar??

Gotta say I had to check on your link Brian to see what you did and where. The states!!

I don't know of anyone who runs a criminal background check on tenants in this country. (It would take too long to do a CRB on every tenant anyway and we've had voids all over the place) It's something I have thought of but then on second thoughts why would I do that?? What would the information do in making my mind up on a tenancy approval? Does it matter really if someone has a record or is it the actual conviction I'm interested in?

What are people's thoughts on this and does anyone KNOW an agent that does similar??

Archived