letting agent not a member of ARLA

MICHAELA8668

Would you use a letting agent who was not registered with ARLA. They are well established in the area and we would only be using them to find a tenant. Another agent (predictably) said they are not registered because they know they wouldn't meet the "strict criteria to be a member". Any thoughts?

To be an ARLA member you have to pay fees, put your staff on thier expensive courses, take out their insurance etc etc. Just thes 3 things would be enough to put me off if I were an agent.

In the past I have had a 'run in ' with ARLA over a particular large London letting agent who was not acting fairly in my opinion. I don't rate them as they are slaves to the big boys who use their name on thier stationery. If your local agent and non ARLA member has been around a while and has a good following I would use them. Since it is only for tenant finding you can't really go wrong - suggest you meet tenants yourself to get used to making a good judgement and make sure you see the results of the credit checks.

Mortitia

To be an ARLA member you have to pay fees, put your staff on thier expensive courses, take out their insurance etc etc. Just thes 3 things would be enough to put me off if I were an agent.

In the past I have had a 'run in ' with ARLA over a particular large London letting agent who was not acting fairly in my opinion. I don't rate them as they are slaves to the big boys who use their name on thier stationery. If your local agent and non ARLA member has been around a while and has a good following I would use them. Since it is only for tenant finding you can't really go wrong - suggest you meet tenants yourself to get used to making a good judgement and make sure you see the results of the credit checks.

Mortitia

Thanks thats very helpful.

Archived