damp advice given. what do you think?

MICHAELA8668

Our tenants have reported damp so we instructed an independent survey to isolate the problem As we expected, the surveyor identified condensation rather than a leak as the problem (they claim they open windows, etc). As well as recommending redecoration with anti mould treatments he has suggested we fit an apartment heat recovery system or extractor fans into the bathroom, kitchen and WC. He favours the heat recovery syatem but it seems to be ££££. My understanding of the apartment heat recovery system is that it's a machine which sits in the loft and moves warm air about the flat. We have been renting out this flat for a number of years and have never had problems with damp and therefore don't see the need to spend huge sums on a problem which may disappear with a new set of tenants and/or warmer weather. Have any of you got any experience of the heat recovery systems? I am tempted to just fit the extractor fans within the space of the existing airbricks.

Hi Michael,

You cannot stop tenants drying clothes indoors with the bad weather and electricity for home or other laundry at a an all time high. I don't believe they will open the windows when they have just heated the place up either.

My tip is to invest in a dehumidifier. I paid £179 for an Ebac (direct from their website) one to do a 4 bed house and have installed in a 1 bed house with mega condensation due to clothes drying and electric storage heaters. Problem solved instantly. They are quite cheap to run and the water that it removes from the air can be used similar to distilled water in an electric iron. Simples.

Mortitia

Hi Michael

I agree with Mortitia that a dehumidifier is the best way forward, but I have known landlords supply these only for tenants not to use them because "it increases our electric bill" :angry: I have also seen agreements with clauses in regarding their use and this year have had more complaints than ever from tenants regarding "mould growing on our walls" which turns out to be condensation.

Ventilation is usually increased by gently pointing out to tenants that condensation mould removal will eat into their deposit! :(

Thanks for your replies. I asked the surveyor about a dehumidifier and he said that it wouldnt solve the problem as it can't remove enough water. I do think extractor fans are a good idea but I am not keen on the apartment heat whatever unit as it seems like a great deal of expense for a problem which has never been there before.

I don't agree with your surveyor. Some small dehumidifiers only have small tanks of 1 litre which need emptying constantly but the uprated one I bought holds 5 litres and if emptied once a day (if necessary) should be ample. That is a lot of water!

I researched dehumidifiers thoroughly before buying one and the running costs are about 2p an hour and you don't need them on all the time - the one I got came with an auto setting and was very quiet - I had it on test at home for 24 hours before taking it to my rental.

If you point all this out to your tenants I don't see how you can go wrong.

Heat recovery is fine for pricey new builds and something off Grand Designs but in reality for letting what I have suggested will do you. No doubt your surveyor is an agent for extractor fans and heat recovery equipment!!

Mortitia

I personally would not go down the heat recovery route, it does sound like a vested interest by the surveyor and likely to be expensive, both to purchase and to continually run (electric bill)

As you are probably aware, condensation is a winter related problem and is caused by a lack of ventilation (when hot air cannot escape a room then comes in contact with a cold surface, a bedroom wall for example, this hot air / vapour then turns back into water to form damp).

I had a previous condensation problem, and I fitted airbricks throughout the property and unblocked the chimney which has worked. Although on a routine inspection last week, some damp had started to return in one of the bedrooms, this was due to tenants drying their clothes, I asked them when they dry their clothes to open the window until clothes are dry, i'm confident they will as they have been good tenants to date.

Dehumidifiers are very effective in removing damp and are a useful tool for any landlord but do not get to the reason behind the damp.

I would remind your tenants to regularly air the property (especially if drying clothes inside). I would also look to increase ventilation further, putting in larger airbricks or installing extractor fans should sort out the problem.

Thanks all. We have decided to fit 2 humidistat extractors - one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen and see how it goes. I think you may be right about the surveyor having an interest as he referred to a particular cmpany re: the vented system and even provided a discount code! Not very 'independent' I would argue.

Archived