Jump to content

Separate Contents Insurance


Recommended Posts

Hi all and happy new year!

Hoping someone can shed some light...

I own a top floor, furnished maisonette that forms part of the freehold. The other property is the maisonette below me. We share buildings insurance but our contents insurance policies were held with other companies. When I started letting my property 2 years ago, I informed my contents insurance company of the change of situation and they took note and no further action was required. When I called them yesterday to renew/review my policy, they told me that since last year the policies had been rewritten and that they would be unable to reinsure me on a landlord's contents-only policy. Obviously I wouldn't be able to buy buildings and contents as then I would be double insured on buildings.

So at the moment I am contents cover-less and not sure where to go from here. I'm pretty sure most specific landlord insurance companies (homelet etc) only provide buildings and contents insurance.

Does anyone have any experience of this or have any advice for me please?

Thank you


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Your situation is not entirely clear to me, are you looking to insure your own contents or the contents in the let property?

You can take your own contents insurance out with anyone, I would not insure the contents of a tenant they would have to do it themselves.

If you are looking to insure minimal contents (curtains carpets etc) of the let property as owner your landlords building insurance policy should provide for this so I would switch buildings insurers to one that does this because as far as I'm aware this is standard practice.

Thus would end up with landlords buildings insurance, covering both maisonettes, a landlords contents sum assured of say £5k and a contents insurance for my own stuff, the tenant insuring their own contents.

Maybe your current insurer just does not do the type of insurance you need.

Hope that helps.



Link to comment
Share on other sites


thank you for your replies, very helpful. I'm just looking to cover my own contents that form part of the furnished, let property - sofa, beds, tables, kitchen appliances, garden furniture and tools etc, not those of the tenant. I also I have a small amount of personal belongings stored in my attic (as I am currently living abroad) to which the tenants do not (should not!!) have access.

I'll take your advice and do some more research into what my current buildings insurance company can offer- hopefully they will provide something since my co-policy owner (the owner of the other maisonette) is not keen on changing providers!

thanks again, Anna

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...