Abandoned Property

eric

I have a tenant who has been a complete nightmare and has now abandoned the property leaving it in a state which is going to cost in the region of £5K to put back to a lettable standard. Has anyone any experience of taking court action in these circumstances? The Tenancy Agreement doesn't actually end for another 7 months so there will also be the issue of increasing rent arrears.

Oh dear. Has he actually handed the keys back to you - if not you could be in danger of being accused of entering the property without his consent. Why such a long AST?

Is he worth taking court action against - Is he in employment or got money? If not I'd say forget it but £5K is a lot of damage - what happened?

I don't see how you can enforce the agreement to the end unless you know his whereabouts and if he has funds to pay you with. Maybe best to repair and re-let to someone sensible.

More details needed.

Mortitia

Oh dear. Has he actually handed the keys back to you - if not you could be in danger of being accused of entering the property without his consent. Why such a long AST?

Is he worth taking court action against - Is he in employment or got money? If not I'd say forget it but £5K is a lot of damage - what happened?

I don't see how you can enforce the agreement to the end unless you know his whereabouts and if he has funds to pay you with. Maybe best to repair and re-let to someone sensible.

More details needed.

Mortitia

I'm afraid it's a case of mixing family and business.

I have spoken to a friend who works in Housing law and she has given me some pointers. I will be contacting a company who can find people as I know his name and date of birth and I don't think he has moved far away. Apparently the keys have been posted back but they haven't arrived yet. If I don't get them returned in the next couple of days I will arrange for them to be changed and if challenged I have concerns that the property is not secure.

I will be pursuing the debt and claiming for any damages via Small Claims Court so will let you know how I get on....

Thanks

Archived