Gas safety certs kept by letting agents

keyboardtypingman

For years one of my letting agents has kept the Landlord gas check certs. He doesn't send me a copy. I'm always worried that the check might not have been done and sometimes have asked for a copy of the cert. The letting agent sounds a bit off with me when I ask, as if I'm questioning whether the work was carried out.

If in the event of a tragedy it turned out the check hadn't been done, who is legally responsible? I hope the answer is the letting agent otherwise there's no peace of mind with some agents in this matter.

When you get your monthly statement showing payment for the work done it should include a copy of the invoice for the work done. Also check your terms of business with the agent which should stipulate who does what.

That's not really the question though.

If a letting agent has been organizing a landlord gas cert for years, as agreed, and one year overlooks it: does the law's ton of bricks come down on the agent or the landlord?

If a letting agent has been organizing a landlord gas cert for years, as agreed, and one year overlooks it: does the law's ton of bricks come down on the agent or the landlord?

The Law states that it is your responsibility to ensure that this is done. Although you employ an agency to arrange any work you have a duty to check that this has been carried out. try using a gas company that provides you with online certificates and ask your agency to use your prefered supplier. Then you can get a copy from the company direct. www.simply-trades.com

Answers the question in the real world. If the agent won't provide a copy and you've not been billed at time of renewal then fair to assume work's not been done so owner needs to take action. If you have a copy of invoice from the agent and have paid the work it's fair to assume the work has been done so question doesn't arise as owner is protected.

Write to the agent and state that as you are the landlord and are paying the bills you would like a copy or original of the gas certs that have been carried out on your property for your own records. If they find a reason not to comply ask for a writen statement of reasons.

There is no good reason why any agent should not supply any infomation that they have collected on your behalf as you are their client. Also they cannot hide behide the data protection act as it wouldnt apply.

For years one of my letting agents has kept the Landlord gas check certs. He doesn't send me a copy. I'm always worried that the check might not have been done and sometimes have asked for a copy of the cert. The letting agent sounds a bit off with me when I ask, as if I'm questioning whether the work was carried out.

If in the event of a tragedy it turned out the check hadn't been done, who is legally responsible? I hope the answer is the letting agent otherwise there's no peace of mind with some agents in this matter.

As the owner of the property you are legally responsible and could face a prison sentence so if your agent isn't passing you the certificates you need to find another agent

Archived