Telephone line to property

hein25

I have a question ,my rental flat has phone line but the last tenant did not use it so it has become cut off by BT.The reconnection charge is £122.50.

My tenant wants broadband .It is fully furnished flat but phone line is not included in her contract.

My question is should I pay this connection charge ?If yes is it tax dedutable?

If I did pay this connection charge and the next tenant again did not want it and it again was cut off by BT I would have to pay it again should the next tenant want tel.line.

What do other lanlords do in this situation?

Some lanlords in student housing provide broadband ,how does it work?Can one provide broadband without phone calls included?

I have a question ,my rental flat has phone line but the last tenant did not use it so it has become cut off by BT.The reconnection charge is £122.50.

My tenant wants broadband .It is fully furnished flat but phone line is not included in her contract.

My question is should I pay this connection charge ?If yes is it tax dedutable?

If I did pay this connection charge and the next tenant again did not want it and it again was cut off by BT I would have to pay it again should the next tenant want tel.line.

What do other lanlords do in this situation?

Some lanlords in student housing provide broadband ,how does it work?Can one provide broadband without phone calls included?

hi hein,

my tenant has also called me about broadband and the reconnection fee is being paid by her. the flat is also fully furnished however this service is an additional cost and thats why i have asked her to pay. Although the company thats connecting the line through BT are charging 25.00 for reconnection and 100.00 for new.

i think to check what you require you can call this number from the phone line to distinguish whether it needs a new connection or reconnection. 107070 is the number to dial. if the operator gives you a number than it needs reconnection.

Anywhoo i believe your tenant should pay for this.

regards

Hi Hein,

I also had this one the other week. On a rental value of £525 pcm I refused and tenants have had it connected themselves.

Previous tenants at that property had only mobiles and did internet at work. I find this quite common - so no need for BT line. On the other hand students use internet a lot and expect to have it available at lets - not sure how that works for billing calls but lots of ads avertise it in my area - they are probably forced to use Skype software - which makes the calls virtually free.

Trouble comes if you get voids of letting at the property you are still stuck with paing the BT bill until another tenant takes it on. Not sure if that would be tax deductable - probably.

Mortitia

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new tenant moving in this week, and he asked exactly the same thing - BT had quoted him £122.50 for connection and would I be prepared to contribute. I suggested he query it with BT as there is a line to the property and it was used by previous tenants up to about 2 years ago. He did this and BT accepted that they will not be charging that much for reconnection (it may even be free).

Ultimately I'm sure BT will want the business - the house also has a disused Virgin Media phone connection and the tenant could have used that instead.

Archived