Takeover the management of rental property from letting agent

squirrel103

We have a property in Scotland that we let out via letting agent which we would like to takeover the management of. Is there anything we should wary of when informing letting agent of our intention? The 6 month tennancy agreement has expired and apparently the tennant hasn't signed a new agreement. How much notice should we give LA?

Hi Squirrel,

I don't know if Scottish law particularly regulates on this but the answer is probably in your agreement or terms of business with the agent which you signed at the outset. No matter how much notice you give the LA - try a month - I'm sure they will want some kind of payoff for introduction of the tenant.

If the AST has expired and tenant is still in situ then the tenancy is 'periodic' and continues as set out in the AST.

Good luck with this. Would like to know the outcome.

Mortitia

• 1 month later...

Hi There, That is a good move, i have a property in London and the letting agents fees were becoming rediculous, so i am now managing the property. I have saved lots of money, for example the letting agents were charging £95 for the landlord gas safety, on the open market it is £70. Now i am a Gas Engineer i can do it for free.

Happy Management. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived