replacing windows in conservation property

lanaby

Hi all. I rent out a house in that is a designated conservation property (not listed) and have recently been told that the Council will charge me some exhorbitant fee to check whether I can replace the very old draughty wooden sash windows with plastic sash windows (please dont all scream in horror at once). I have spent years maintaining the wooden windows due to the ravishes of sea air and UPVC is much more practical especially for a rental property.

Rather than immediately stumping up the fee for the council to check a computer (it isnt applying for permission, just a routine check that used to be free) does anyone know what the rules are? It is a private semi detached house. I understand the rules are different for flats than for houses.

many thanks

lanaby

Hi Lanaby,

Am just dealing with something similar myself and find the cost of local authority checks ourtageous - but how else are they going to fund their massive pensions? Different local authorities seem to have differing rules so maybe ask (via another address) the council in question for their rules?

I have just watched a neighbouring building to mine have replacement front elevation windows in what can be only described as in a 'modernist' styley without asking for any consents/checks and no one has noticed or commented. Both our buildings are in a high Edwardian style - mine slightly more so being a corner plot.

So far I have had 3 quotes for UPVC and all 3 contractors brought up the subject of planners/LA. Since I have planning permission in for the ground floor I have just added 'replace first floor windows' to my plans and I think that has gone through. It is amazing what you can pass on one application if done discretely.

Do the work and say nothing is my recommendation. These Sarah Beeney/English Heritage types who wax lyrical about original sash windows have obviously not been bought up in a building with them. UPVC is just the job for the letting market.

Good Luck

Mortitia

Hi Mortitia

good to hear from someone else in a similar situation. My only concern is that I used to work in a hostel within the same Borough, the manager bought replacement windows for the whole building and then some council jobsworth told them they couldnt use them. It was a commercial building so not sure if that's subject to different rules but it cost them a fortune in unuseable windows. I dont know whether it's worth the risk, although I did get UPVC windows in the back of the house, having spoken to the Council before they started charging, so I'm pretty sure the same rules apply to the front.

lanaby

Mortitia

"UPVC is just the job for the letting market." Are you suggesting that if a house is let, it doesn't matter what the windows look like?

Anyone who takes an interest in the appearance of our older buildings will quickly see the desecration caused by replacement with inappropriate modern windows.

There are good solutions (including UPVC and secondary glazing) about now for replacing old leaky sash windows that fail to meet insulation needs with modern equivalents that match the original architecture.

It's an owner's responsibility to go through the proper channels and maintain our housing and conservation legacy. It is often the reason why we like to live where we do. Whether or not the house is let is irrelevant. We can't expect to go for the cheapest solution just because the property is let.

Otherwise stick to modern houses!

Hi Chestnut,

You are a prime example of someone taking my view on UPVC windows the wrong way. I am not suggesting that outward appearance does not matter. Something you take great offence to might not bother someone else. Just what is so great about 120 year old draughty sash windows when UPVC can be made to follow the same lines and give a similar appearance?

I think UPVC windows are ideal for the rental market because they don't need painting and are easy to clean, are strong and unlikely to break, offer greater security and insulation values than single glazed windows and they look for the most part smart even when inserted into Heritage buildings in a format that matched existing.

At the moment I am trying to source secondary glazing for my building (not a house but originally a Edwardian commercial building) as unlike Lanaby my buildings' frames are in excellent condition. The cost is equal to that of sealed units and I still will have to pay a painter £490 to paint the outside frames.

Secondary glazing can look strange from the inside, is difficult to clean and places have to found to store the heavy glas inserts if removed in summer. Have you ever tried to open a secondary sash dg window? Fine if you are a gym freak, like weights and don't mind getting your findgers trapped. Plenty of probs there for the rental market under health and safety. Yes you can get acrylic 'glass' which is about 8 times lighter and I'm sure Chestnut you will have issues with that as well. When installing windows it is my opinion that you do have to take the tenant and practicalities into consideration and not just aesthetics and I don't always go for the cheapest option as you suggest.

I'm sure we all know of windows - UPVC and wood that are wrongly styled or delapidated but surely choice of material should be down to the individual when not a listed but older building?

Mortitia

Mortitia,

I think UPVC windows are fine if they are sensitively designed and specified not to upset the look of the building but in some cases maybe wood has to prevail to maintain a satisfactory 'heritage' appearance. We have planning departments because we live in a democracy and sometimes their decisions seem hard to an individual.

As I said, whether or not the building is in the rental market seems completely irrelevant to me. The benefits of high performance and low maintenance of UPVC apply either way.

Archived