Finding My Own Tenants

GrosAve

:blink: Hello all again,

I am in the process of my current tenants leaving at the end of this month and am looking for new ones. Can I please ask for some advice from you more experienced landlords? I appreciate there are websites I could use to find this out but I get confused at so many! I do hope you don't mind me asking so many questions in one go :unsure:. I should mention that up to now I have used a letting agency to find my one and only tenants I've had for the past 3 years. They are moving to a larger property and I have decided to do it myself this time. :huh:

I have put an ad in Gumtree, 2 x local papers and a staff magazine at Heathrow Airport.

• Does anyone have a set list of generic questions I can use to ask the prospective tenants?
  • What websites do you use for Reference Checks on prospective tenants? Are there standard forms for the tenants to fill out at the interview for this?
  • Is there a generic form to send to a recent, previous landlord requesting a reference with questions?
  • Is there a generic form to send to an Employer requesting a reference with questions?
  • Deposit Schemes - are these essential? If so which one would you suggest?
  • Can anyone suggest where I may go to get a Gas Safe Certificate? I have contacted local people to my property on this site - http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/re..._landlords.aspx - is there a standard cost?

Thanks you so very much for your help in advance.

Kind regards,

Paul

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

I find myself facing a similar situation shortly. The info I have found out so far is:

There is a site called www.propertyhawk.co.uk that offers free forms / checklists / tenancy agreements. As a non-expert, I don't know how good the site is and haven't been able to find any reviews (good or bad).

Another site www.landlordlet.com can do credit checks / screening from £20 and I believe you can charge the prospective tenants for this.

You HAVE to have a deposit scheme. (If you want a deposit!) The governments www.depositprotection.com is free.

You've done the right thing for the gas safety certs - I had to pay a fixed price per appliance but the total was less than £60.

Don't forget you'll need an 'Energy Performance Certificate', these weren't required when your last tenant moved in.

Again, I can't vouch for any of this - it's just info I have gathered together

• 3 months later...

The VirtualLetz blog is all sound advice IMO and very thorough.

I think there are other companies who also offer the same service so do some price comparisons. There was one company that charged a flat £50 to put your property on rightmove for a month and connect you with tenants.

S

• 3 months later...

Yes, on VirtualLetz.com it is a flat fee of £29.95 to advertise the property on Rightmove, Zoopla etc until let. They handle all tenant enquiries and pass on to the landlord.

The VirtualLetz blog is all sound advice IMO and very thorough.

I think there are other companies who also offer the same service so do some price comparisons. There was one company that charged a flat £50 to put your property on rightmove for a month and connect you with tenants.

S

Archived