1 months ast

gaz3845

could anyone help me with a problem i havent come across before a tenant of mine says he cant pay his rent £440 a month his ast runs out on 1/6/09 im reluctant to give tenant new agreement for 6 months as if he cannot get help off the dhss i will be in the unfortunate position were i will have to evict him he says he went to the dhss 8 weeks ago but still hasnt heard anything yet my big concern is that if i give him 1 months tenancy agreement will i still be able to get him out by serving a section 21 notice as i am aware these notices must be served 2 months before possesion date if anyone has any ideas on best way to go forward with this i would be most grateful (i am willing to give tenant 1 month to sort out finances but dont want to risk any more as i have high demand for propertys in this area) thanking u all in advance

gaz

Hi Gaz,

Just to cover yourself I would issue section 21 immediately - you may end up needing to use it.

You don't need to issue a new AST at all just tell the tenant that the tenancy is going 'periodic' which means you carry on the tenancy under the terms of the original agreement until one of you decides to end it. I think it may be you.

If it were me I would give the tenant a 1 pager outlining this just incase he is thinking other things. Put the property address at the top and date it. Then underneath just write that landlord and tenant agree to carry on the terms of the agreement until one gives notice to he other as set out in the AST. Both sign and leave 1 copy with him.

This way you have done as much as you can until rent arrives or he has to go.

Mortitia

• 2 weeks later...
could anyone help me with a problem i havent come across before a tenant of mine says he cant pay his rent £440 a month his ast runs out on 1/6/09 im reluctant to give tenant new agreement for 6 months as if he cannot get help off the dhss i will be in the unfortunate position were i will have to evict him he says he went to the dhss 8 weeks ago but still hasnt heard anything yet my big concern is that if i give him 1 months tenancy agreement will i still be able to get him out by serving a section 21 notice as i am aware these notices must be served 2 months before possesion date if anyone has any ideas on best way to go forward with this i would be most grateful (i am willing to give tenant 1 month to sort out finances but dont want to risk any more as i have high demand for propertys in this area) thanking u all in advance

gaz

thanks for the help folks glad to say tenant paid 1 months rent but i think we still got a long way to go before we resolve this prob oh and i took your advise served new section 21 and gave him letter stating its now running as periodic tenancy many thanks again for help gaz

Archived