Boilers that need replacing

misspolly

My mom is letting out property to clients and they've just recently called to say the boiler is no longer working. Where would I go about getting quotes for better pricing?? Also when I was living there, I've never had issues, so how long do boilers usually last??

Hi,

My gas engineer always says boilers start to get unreliable at about 10 years old. They may just need repair but modern boilers are far more fuel efficient so worth thinking about changing. Don't forget this work is never likely to get cheaper! How can your tenants be living without a boiler?

In my experience a condensing boiler for a 2 bed property is about £2,500 to replace. You need to look for estimates from engineers/plumbers who carry the 'gas safe' card and previously that was 'Corgi registered'. Get three estimates - try yellow pages, local paper or www. check a trade which is quite informative about services in general. Go for a well known make of boiler like Potterton or Glow Worm then spares are easy to get.

If you find a good engineer/plumber stick with him as he will always tunr out when you have a problem.

Mortitia

Thanks Mortitia,

They're not living without a boiler, I'm trying to help my mom sort this out today. Just getting some quotes now but thanks for your info, I really needed to know a rough estimation of how much we'd be spending. Is Baxi a well known brand?

Polly

Archived