Noisy tenants causing problems for neighbours

F-Prop

Hi All,

I just wanted your advice on this one before I go wading in...

I'm getting complaints from neighbours that my tenants are having noisy parties at the weekend until 6am. They have been keeping a log and have given me exact dates and times. They also say that they have been round to chat, but it has not helped.

They now want me to get involved... (i.e. evict them!)

From my point of view my tenants are fine, the house is tidy and the rent is always paid. I'm not sure what my tenant will say when I confront her, if she denies it, then what?? It's her word against the neighbours and I have no proof either way.

Any advice how I should proceed with this one? Should I ask for them to get proof of the noise, either by calling EHO to record it, or call the police?

Many thanks,

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

Do you think the neighbours would be giving you this grief if there was no noise? The fact that they are logging it sounds like they have been in touch with the environmental health dept of your local council - this is what councils usually advise before taking action against the tenant initially.

You could also call the police and ask if they have had complaints about this address, explaining that you are the landlord. Try observing on a Saturday night and see what happens.

Having done your research decide on what next. The way you write sounds you might be afraid of this female tenant. If the neighbours have been unable to convince her make less noise then she may have an attitude problem - take a female friend with you if you do confront her just to be safe.

Either way rowdy parties are surely going to tell on the property sooner or later. If you don't want to evict just don't re-new her tenancy and give notice now.

Hope this helps.

Mortitia

Thanks for your advice Mortitia... I've never been in this situation before and need to tread carefully!

I'm not too bothered about serving notice on the tenant. I just don't really want to for the problems it might cause and the potential voids.

I don't really have any proof other than the neighbours, but I don't think they would be making it up, I've had loads to tenants over the years and the neighbours have never complained.

I could go round... but that would mean getting up at 3am! I will check with the police though... that's good thinking - thanks!

I think my next step will be to write to them giving them a chance to respond and advise them that they would loose the property if it continues.

She's on a periodic tenancy now. If I am going to terminate the tenancy (which I can do at any point - section 21B was served at the start) on the grounds of anti-social behaviour, do I have to provide evidence?

Thanks,

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

The letter sounds a good idea then follow it up with a phonecall to hear her side of the story.

If you terminate the tenancy it might be wise not to use the anti-social reason just to avoid tension. The other thing to consider is what you will do if she asks for a reference. Don't dump her on some poor unsuspecting landlord!

Good luck

Mortitia

• 2 weeks later...

Been in this situation before. :blink: Isn't it a shame when some of your best paying/tidiest tenants turn out to be nocturnal anti-socials?!? But who needs the grief from the neighbours and from a responsibility POV, you gotta look at it from the neighbour's side and do your duty. Gutting though. Never dull being a LL!

Archived