Tenant doesn't want deposit back, agency won't release it !

danny92

I have a strange problem that i can't seem to find an answer too, I hope someone can help!

Our tenant put down £800 deposit. She terminated her contract early which we were advised by the letting agency (who hold the deposit and provided the tenant find service for us) meant that she would be liable for their next tenant find fee (£600). The house was left in a mess and as a result the oven and carpets had to be professionally cleaned after the tenant left. The tenant told me she didn't care about the deposit, as far as she was concerned we could keep the lot. She refused to meet me to sign the inventory form.

After I deducted the costs I did send the tenant a copy of the inventory form to sign as there was around £100 due back. But she is completely ignoring me and will not return the form because she's "too busy". Herein lies the problem - the letting agency don't seem to have a clue what to do, i keep calling them and am told they will find out but they never call me back. It has now been 7 weeks since the tenant moved out and still the money is sitting with the letting agency who I paid £25 for this (lack of) service!

Can anyone advise what my next step should be?

Thanks

Which deposit protection comany is the deposit with?

I'm not sure, we paid the letting agency £25 to deal with the deposit but they're completely hopeless. They don't know what to do and never call me back when I chase them up. I guess it's quite unusual for a tenant to not want the deposit back.

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that my deposit is held with the TDS. So i called them up and they told me i need to fill in a dispute form which they independantly assess. This is so stupid because my tenant doesn't have a dispute she just can't be bothered to reply to my letter, in the same way that she couldn't be bothered to tell me when the heating broke down.

I find it so frustrating that everything is geared towards the tenant, it allows them to treat the landlord like dirt.

Archived