Small Claims - how much is reasonable?

JMK

Hi

It's me again!!

As advised before Christmas I have filed a claim through the Small Claims Court. Needless to say neither tenant has replied by the due date.

Therefore I now have to ask the court to enter judgement. One of the questions is how much would I like the defendants to pay. Obviously asking for the amount in full is just not going to happen, they are both on benefits, and I also think it may be quite likely one of them is about to end up spending a little time behind bars!! (He has just been arrested for several burgularies in the area).

The total claim is for £2553.78 (Rent arrears and damages). Previously they offered me £1000 then the rest in installments - nothing came of this, then they offered £750 and the rest in installments - again nothing. Then when they received my letter saying I was going to take them to court they offered me £1.50 per week. Then a week later £2.50!! The last two offers where sent by text, explaining they have nothing to live off as it is - my heart bleeds!!

Anyway - What would be a reasonable amount to request? I do feel £2.50 a week is far too low - it would take them over 19 years to pay it back!!!

Your help would be appreciated.

Hi

It's me again!!

As advised before Christmas I have filed a claim through the Small Claims Court. Needless to say neither tenant has replied by the due date.

Therefore I now have to ask the court to enter judgement. One of the questions is how much would I like the defendants to pay. Obviously asking for the amount in full is just not going to happen, they are both on benefits, and I also think it may be quite likely one of them is about to end up spending a little time behind bars!! (He has just been arrested for several burgularies in the area).

The total claim is for £2553.78 (Rent arrears and damages). Previously they offered me £1000 then the rest in installments - nothing came of this, then they offered £750 and the rest in installments - again nothing. Then when they received my letter saying I was going to take them to court they offered me £1.50 per week. Then a week later £2.50!! The last two offers where sent by text, explaining they have nothing to live off as it is - my heart bleeds!!

Anyway - What would be a reasonable amount to request? I do feel £2.50 a week is far too low - it would take them over 19 years to pay it back!!!

Even though it is a lot of money

I would feel justified that they now have a CCJ against them, and will screw up what little lives they have. To accept 2.50 a week is just a waste of time really is, since they will never pay if off, and you will just get streesed in life.

Move on and put it down to a bad experience, both on benefit and now going into prison, yes well we can work out how many brains cells they have cant we. Certainly not enough to worry about you.

Sad I know, but i would suggest you move on or continue to cost yourself further costs and strees trying to acheive the nie on impossible................

Hi

It's me again!!

Take what you can because you are unlikely to getting anything while they are on benefits. You could try a debt collection company (no collect, no fee) and maybe pre-warn the T before that this is what you will do. With some people it wont make any differance but others still have visions of a thug turning up on their doorstep with a baseball bat (i think it still goes on) and that may work in your favour.

Archived