Employers reference

heebs

hello all

I am still relatively new LL...i had a previous lodger who changed jobs...when i asked for a work ref from her new employer she gave me a one line letter confirming her working there...i aksed her for more info specifically her salary and she told me it was none of my business and was confidential

Now i have let out our whole house to a family who was on housing benefit..no problems as council paid rent...but now the husband has started working..

Could I now ask him for a work reference ...and could i insist on salary info as i really like these tenants and want to keep them on but really need an idea of what he earns so that i can make a judgement on the rent to offer them on renewal that would be do able for them..i would even reduce the rent if the earnings are not so great...but i need to make an informed decision.

What are LL rights in requesting salary info and how do you more experienced LL go about requesting work ref with salary info.

thanks to all who reply

heebs

When I vet prospective tenants, I insist on a written reference from the Human Resources department of the company that the tenant works for - asking:

1. what is their salary

2. are they under notice to leave the company and

3. would they make good tenants.

When I receive the letter back I then check company is legit checking website / company listings and ring the H.R (or person giving reference) to check everything tallies up. When ringing the person who has given the reference, I ask some trivial question as the excuse for calling. If everything seems fine, i'm happy, if any alarm bells ring, that's the end of that.

I normally do this BEFORE the start of the tenancy, along with financial checks (internet) and the landlord b4 the previous landlord if poss. In your case, I sort of know where you're coming from, but, what your biggest concern should be now is that if one of the tenants has started to work, will this invalidate the housing claim, or disrupt the housing claim? It is very likely it will, so suddenly you may not have any money from the council coming in for a while as they re-evaluate the claim. The data protection act make councils reluctant to give out details, so you'll be relying on the tenants to keep you informed, this may not be high up on their agenda.

If it was me, unless the tenants were excellent tenants I would serve notice, as there could be loads of agro ahead.

When I vet prospective tenants, I insist on a written reference from the Human Resources department of the company that the tenant works for - asking:

1. what is their salary

2. are they under notice to leave the company and

3. would they make good tenants.

When I receive the letter back I then check company is legit checking website / company listings and ring the H.R (or person giving reference) to check everything tallies up. When ringing the person who has given the reference, I ask some trivial question as the excuse for calling. If everything seems fine, i'm happy, if any alarm bells ring, that's the end of that.

I normally do this BEFORE the start of the tenancy, along with financial checks (internet) and the landlord b4 the previous landlord if poss. In your case, I sort of know where you're coming from, but, what your biggest concern should be now is that if one of the tenants has started to work, will this invalidate the housing claim, or disrupt the housing claim? It is very likely it will, so suddenly you may not have any money from the council coming in for a while as they re-evaluate the claim. The data protection act make councils reluctant to give out details, so you'll be relying on the tenants to keep you informed, this may not be high up on their agenda.

If it was me, unless the tenants were excellent tenants I would serve notice, as there could be loads of agro ahead.

It is a good idea to confirm whether they have a temp or perm contract ..if you are about to give a 6/12 mth AST is it not wise to ensure they have emloyment for this term ?

The Rodent

Archived