Risk of legionaires disease

Chestnut

How do Landlords take on their responsibilities for legionella risk?

I have been alerted to a Health and Safety Code of Practice http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg376.pdf about controlling the risk of Legionaires disease - a legal requirement which apparently, since 2005, extends to landlord's responsibilities for rented accommodation.

For example: The CoP states clearly that Landlords are responsible for maintenance of tenant's boiler and shower. Dead legs for unused hot connections (e.g. cold only fed washing machines) should be removed where possible. Landlords should carry out regular risk assessments and advise tenants to run all hot water taps regularly and always maintain hot water storage tanks above 60 degrees C.

............etc. etc.

Can anyone advise on how best to deal with this responsibility?

Hi Chestnut,

I can't remember the last time I heard news of a rental property with Legionella bacteria in the water supply. This sort of thing rarely crops up at all in the UK but when it does it is usually in public buildings with poor maintenance. Jacuzzi's in health clubs used to be a favourite and years ago - cruise ships.

The bacteria needs a high humidity to multiply. Do we really have these conditions in our properties? I thought the annual boiler service would be adequate enough to expel any nasties?

Mortitia

Archived