Damage to front door

acproperty

I have a fairly good tenant half way through his 6 months AST stay, had a fight with his girlfriend the result being the front door frame has been broken, its a fairly new front door costing £300. A local glazer says he can bodge the frame so it will work for £48. As the tenant has agreed (verbally) that it is his fault, the question is what do I bill him. Just the repair ( i am left with an unsightly frame) or a new door and frame costing £350 to replace (I have his deposit with DPS £495) and have taken pictures of the damage and have a copy of the quote. His AST states that the tenant is responsible for minor repairs and can organize the repair with the landlords OK) but would this be for the frame repair or a new door

Excellent site

Alan Wetherall

AC property

Have the door repaired properly (or if necessary replaced) to your satisfaction (it's your property - do you really want an unsightly 'bodge'?) and split the cost in a deal with the tenant if he doesn't accept the full price.

You may want to keep the tenant on after 6 months and spare the cost of having to find another.

Yes, have the door replaced properly (a new door and you arrange tradesmen).

Bill the tenant for the full price, demanding immediate payment. Why on earth would you split the cost with the tenant, it wasn't you that kicked the door in???

If the tenant doesn't pay immediately, inform them that you will have to serve notice and that the cost of the door will be deducted from the deposit.

You're not running a charity, fair but firm.

Archived