BUY TO LET AND TAX, TAX IS A BIG COST!!!!

pisstake

Hi

I am thinking of buying a property and renting it out as furnished

The property costs £80000. the down payment will be £20000 and £60000 will be a loan. I have calculated In year one my tax liability will be

Based On

Rent (£500*12)= £ 6000

Interest payment £ 1883

Insuarance 300

boiler car 156

wear and tear (10% of rent) 600

rapairs 250

personal expenses: 150

total profit 2661

tax 25% 665

based on the the above calculation i would be paying around 650 in tax per year this seems quite a lot. Is their any way of reducing this figure considerably without getting an interest only mortgage?

Does everyone else pay around £600 per property in tax?

is this a good investment?

thanks for all your help I am a newbie and would appreciate your advice and experience!smile.gifprogress.gifedit.gif

Hi

I am thinking of buying a property and renting it out as furnished

The property costs £80000. the down payment will be £20000 and £60000 will be a loan. I have calculated In year one my tax liability will be

Based On

Rent (£500*12)= £ 6000

Interest payment £ 1883

Insuarance 300

boiler car 156

wear and tear (10% of rent) 600

rapairs 250

personal expenses: 150

total profit 2661

tax 25% 665

based on the the above calculation i would be paying around 650 in tax per year this seems quite a lot. Is their any way of reducing this figure considerably without getting an interest only mortgage?

Does everyone else pay around £600 per property in tax?

is this a good investment?

thanks for all your help I am a newbie and would appreciate your advice and experience!smile.gifprogress.gifedit.gif

Is your £60000 loan a 25 year mortgage..?? It sounds to me like your 1883 interest is on the low side. I rekon a 60000 mortgage over 25 yrs would be around £400pcm with at least £300 of that being interest initially costing you double your assessment. I may be wrong as i am no expert..

Hi

The tax you will pay will depend on what you can claim in expenses.

The rate of tax you will pay will depend on your other income. If the rental profits fall within your basic rate income then you will pay tax at 20%, if you are higher rate, this will be 40%. I am not sure where you got 25% from.

Maximise the expenses you have to reduce the profits, but I have to say it is better to be making a profit and paying tax, then having so many expenses that you have no profit at all!

Whether this is a good return in comparison to other specific investments is something I am unable to comment on professionally (I am not allowed as a tax adviser as it can constitute financial advice), but you have to weigh up both your annual return and potential capital appreciation (difficult to estimate in current market) against the other investment options you are considering for the £20,000 you have.

I am a tax adviser and can advise on this area, but I would suggest that one of the more seasoned experts here will be able to provide you with a better opinion on the investment side.

Regards

Sherena

Hi

Wow, you have got a good rate of interest there - around 3.1%? I remortgaged a few properties a couple of months ago and managed to get 0.79% above base and thought that was good going!

Anyway, on the face of it this is quite a good investment, largely because the loan (or debt) to value ratio (£80,000 - £6,000) is pretty good. Add your excellent interest rate to that and I'm not surprised that you will start to pay tax.

My only advice is to make sure that you include all your allowable expenses; for example were there any fees associated with your loan? Depending upon exactly what they were for, they can be offset against tax.

Good luck with the investment

Preston

• 2 weeks later...

Archived