new landlord needs advice

cairojones

Having had a bad experience with an agency I have decided to rent my property myself

Can anybody advise on the best way of checking out tenants.

Are bank references, previous landlord references and credit scores enough?

Also, if a prospective tenant is self-employed what kind of accounts should I ask to see?

Having had a bad experience with an agency I have decided to rent my property myself

Can anybody advise on the best way of checking out tenants.

Are bank references, previous landlord references and credit scores enough?

Also, if a prospective tenant is self-employed what kind of accounts should I ask to see?

Hi

Do the job properly !

Charge Tenant £25 and get them to fill in a T ref form supplied by www.tenantref.co.uk ...fax it to them and for £25 they will do a complete and professional refernce , id check , credit check, employment, income and previous LL check, and give a suggested rent (credit) limit ....do the job the easy AND proper way !!

The Rodent

As far as self-employed, this is a little more difficult, but I would suggest that ideally you ask them for their accountant's details and get an accountants reference to cover the last three years (including draft current year if available) income. If there is no accountant, ask to the the last three years tax returns (if they do not have these available, they will be able to obtain a tax calculation of their position from HMRC for you)

Hope this helps

Archived