Tenant now in prision

zbennacer

I signed a new agreement with my tenant on the 10th September for 1 year. He is now in remand prision waiting to be convicted. His rent was due on 10th November which obviously hasn't been paid.

I rent the flat out with no furniture so his furniture is still in it, but no real personal possessions, as it appears he never lived there.

I want to terminate the agreement, how do I do this and what are my legal rights? I signed a standard STA with him. Also what can I do with the furniture?

I have arranged a meeting with the citizen advice but wanted to know if anyone had been in this situation.

Thanks B)

I understand tenants are allowed to claim hb whilst on remand, i would perhaps try to contact the tenant and ask him if he is prepared to give up the property, short of that you will have to wait until he is 2 months in arrears to evict him.

I would however change the locks and make clear that you will let him in if he contacts you. 20 years ago I had a tenant who was'nt annoyed that I had relet his room whilst he was doing porridge but that his mates had taken his stuff for safe keeping.

He can claim HB while on remand (for 13 weeks I think) but not after he's convicted... he has to fill out the forms from prison which housing/probation will provide. I've worked with many guys in prison who leave stuff in a property because they cant do anything about it... they dont have mates that will help and dont have money for storage and expect the landlord to store it for them for free, which of course never happens! You need to write to him in prison, or call the prison direct and ask to speak to a probation officer in the prison... they may be able to get him to a telephone so you can discuss options with him. Depending on what the charges are, you dont want an angry man coming to find you to ask where his stuff is anytime in the future. Dont forget also, he may not get convicted... (he could be innocent....there's a thought!) in which case he may want to come back to the property.

Good luck.

Archived