Legal time to replace item that is broken

Rent252

Hi

My tenants rang me this morning to say the new bed that i left them had collapsed on them this morning. I am going to take a look at it later and see what has happened. I have been in touch with the place where I bought the bed from as well in case it needs replacing, but what I want to know is there a legal time frame that says how long I have to replace any broken item in the house? Thanks

Hi

There is no specific legal timescale within which you must get repairs carried out, unless your tenancy agreement covers this.

Strictly speaking the obligation to carry out the repair arises as soon as the disrepair occurs and you are put on notice of it (although for some health and safety repairs the obligation arises regardless of whether or not you have been put on notice - in other words you are "deemed" to know about them regardless).

In practice though, a tenant will only be successful in taking action against you (for example, claiming damages) if you have failed to act reasonably. What is reasonable will vary from one circumstance to another. If the bed is completely unusable, you would need to act more quickly than if it could still be slept in for a while, for example by putting the mattress on the floor.

As with many things, agreeing a course of action with the tenant is the best option if that is open to you.

Good luck

Preston

Archived