Legal Obligations

Jimzay

I have had my flat let out for 2 days now. I have never let my property out before so I was hoping to get some advice. Already my tenants have asked me to come round a sort a leak out under the kitchen sink, although i never saw such a leak when i was living there just last week.

Also, they want me to change the lightbulbs in the Fridge, Oven, and Microwave, as these do not work (and they never did when i lived there, and it never really bothered me)....is it my legal obligation to change these for them??

Any advice would be helpful...it already seems stressfull to be a landlord and i have only been one since Saturday... :rolleyes:

Hi

Dont worry, there are often little teething problems when a new tenant moves in. Leaks under the sink can happen at any time. Have a look and see what needs to be done. Sometimes they are caused by new tenants plumbing in washing machines or dishwashers - in which case you could ask them to sort it out - but if not it will be worth getting it sorted quickly so that it doesnt cause any further damage.

As for the lights in appliances, unless you have an unusual tenancy agreement and they were like that when you let the property, the tenant wont get anywhere claiming against you for these items. Your decision is whether you want to do one or all of them anyway to keep the tenant happy. Only you can judge that really.

The other thing just to mention though is the safety of electrical appliances. You are legally obliged to make sure that they are safe, so if they are old and worn it might be worth getting them checked.

Keep asking lots of questions and you will soon get into the swing!

Preston

Hi Jimzay,

It might be helpful to look at it from the tenants point of view for a second.

They have parted with a fair amount of cash in the form of deposit and rent and expect 'their home' to be perfect. Only after moving in do people spot things like dead bulbs in appliances and similar irritations that may not have bothered you and they expect you as a responsible landlord to put them right.

Is it really a big deal - £5 on bulbs, a Phillips screwdriver and 30 minutes of your time to gain the confidence and respect of your tenants plus rent paid without a grudge? (unplug appliance before messing with bulbs!)

Good luck with that,

Mortitia

Must say have to agree with Mortitia, if you bought a new pair of trousers and the zip didn't work you'd probably take them back wouldn't you? To be honest I find it really hard to believe that because something never bothered you you thought it wouldn't anybody else. Nevertheless these really are minor issues and I would advise you to sort them out with a big smile, it will give you the perfect chance to show them what a good and caring LL you are and hopefully be the start of a good relationship.

Good luck

cheers

Selkirk

Guest trebor69trebor

Do wot your tenants want loook after them there paying your morgage and in the long run making your looks of money. i take a bottle of wine around to all my tenant and wish them a happy christmas ever year .you respect them and will get it back two fold. good luck trebor.

Thanks guys, all helpful stuff. The only reason i was tentative is that i live a good 2 hours (plus traffic) drive from where the flat is, and it seemed a bit silly when its not a hard job for the tenants to put right themselves. I don't mind covering the costs at all, but it's just a lot of effort for a couple of light bulb changes no?? Am i being unreasonable to expect two 30 year old lawyers to know how to change a light blub themselves??

Yes, you are being unreasonable to think that. Being a lawyer of any age does not mean a person is going to be sensible or practical.

If you are 2 hours away then all the more reason to check out these niggles before getting tenants in or make contact with a local tradesman and pay him to do it. You may need him in future as small probs arise (and they do) so keep some phone numbers handy and make your life easy from the outset.

Regards,

Mortitia

I totally agree with every reply, if you can't look after the property get someone who can.

I smiled to myself when you said you were prepared to cover the costs of your tenants carrying out the work, there is a few hours work (including travelling time to the shops) and I am quite sure solicitors charge more than electricians, especially on their day off, so you are looking at £250 for changing 3 lightbulbs (plus disbursements)!! Even more down south.

On a more serious note, you have 2 solicitors as tenants, do you really want to live that dangerously by provoking potential litigation and upsetting them on their first weekend?

Get it sorted double quick.

I appreciate this is your first letting and if you have any doubt as to your legal obligations as landlord or your ability/willingness to manage the property then appoint a managing agent and learn how to do it better than them.

Cheers

Gee

Hi

Just as an aside, the lightbulbs in my cooker and microwave arent that easy to change and would require a bit more than a screwdriver. Doesnt change the outcome - I agree with the advice and comments from others about getting them done - but do check, if you dont already know, what is involved in the job before you drive a couple of hours.

Preston

My thought too. I wouldn't expect a tenant to change an appliance bulb without asking the LL. Some are special, difficult to access without damage, and quite expensive.

Either have them replaced, or if the tenant will accept the missing light, sign it off as an accepted known fault on the inventory at the start of tenancy.

Archived