Advice needed on HMO's

Mortitia

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting into HMO for the first time with a 1920's property at present set up as a large corner shop with s/c large 2 bed accommodation over on 2 floors. Just one internal staircase with separate street door.

The shop, with consent would make two good s/c studios with front doors onto the street but what about the maisonette? It has 3 large rooms (on 2 floors) + large kitchen and bathroom.

Can anyone with experience in this field advise me on the basics and pitfalls before I borrow the necessary? I already own adjacent land (suitable for fire escape) with attached 1 bed house and have been waiting for this bit to come on the market for years - and now it has but looking at the council guidelines on HMO's has confused me somewhat.

Thanks in advance,

Mortitia

Hi

As you already know, the exact requrements for an HMO depend not just on statute but on the details of your local registration scheme, so you may need some local advice. There's a good set of materials on the RLA website, including a step by step guide to working out whether you will be covered by the full HMO regs.

Just a thought, but is it worth thinking about having just 2 tenants in the maisonette so it wont count as an HMO? There will still be fire and other regs to comply with, but it may be alot simpler and cheaper than full compliance?

Good luck

Preston

Archived