inspection notice

gaz3845

Hi

There is no standard form or prescribed content for a letter requesting access to inspect. All you need to do is write a simple letter and make sure that it complies with whatever your tenancy agreement says. So, the operative paragraph might read something like:

"As you may know, it is good practice for a landlord to inspect his/her property property from time to time to ensure that it is in a good state of repair. Such inspections are in the interests of both the landlord and tenant.

Clause ... of your tenancy agreement requires you to allow me or my agent access to carry out an inspection. The same (?) clause requires me to provide you with ... notice.

I would, therefore, like to meet you at your home at ... on ... so that we can carry out the inspection together. If this time is not convenient, please contact me before ... to make an alternative mutually convenient appointment."

Depending on how firm or friendly you want to be, no doubt you can top and tail this sort of wording with some appropriate wording. For example, you may or may not want to say that you have information that there may be a problem.

The other thing to bear in mind is exactly how much notice you should give. As you have said, this is dictated by the tenancy agreement, but, depending upon the precise wording, if it says two days, it generally means two full days. So, if you serve the notice requesting access on a Monday, this means access should generally be granted on the Thursday. (Clauses which specify hours rather than days can sometimes be a bit better for this reason).

Good luck.

Preston

Archived