Finding tenants without an agent

Preston

I always use www.gumtree.com, it's free and I normally recieve about a dozen enquires from prospective tenants each time I advertise.

I much prefer using the web than advertising in a property paper (as I once did), that way u don't get nutters ringing you up.

On your web advert only give out your email address. You can dismiss approx half of respondents by the manner of their initial email (ie not addressing you in the correct manner / sounding like pikeys) and reducing the chances of getting a nightmare tenant(s). Only reply to the prospective tenants that sound decent, then give them more details including your tel no. You obviously still need the usual reference, credit checks etc to give yourself the best chance of securing a good tenant(s).

Within a few days of posting my advert, I have normally (with any luck) whittled the prospective tenants down to three or four, I then arrange viewings one afternoon or whenever your property will look its best ie if you have restricted parking in your road, have viewing in the evening or Sunday afternoon when parking is available. I would also arrange all the viewings in 30 minutes time-slots running consecutively, that way if one prospective tenant blows out, you haven't wasted your time as you still have the other prospective tenants lined-up for viewings.

Hi all,

I have tried using gumtree a couple of times but got loads of Poles - hard to check credit rating etc. Didn't get any pikeys though. This was S. London so maybe variety depends on your area. I have found my letting agent turns up good quality tenants so I stick with her for finding only in that location.

Have also tried notice boards in hospitals (NHS and private)- you need to ask at reception first if you can put one up. Most NHS hosps have their own web site only accessible to staff and if you know an employee you can get them to put your ad on for you. Also notice boards of other large companies in the locality and that has been quite successful for me. The thought of not having to travel far to work is very appealing to some.

Mortitia

I've have to agree that [post=http://www.gumtree.com/]gumtree is by far the best free site in terms of getting enquiries and letting.

I've tried loads of other websites but hardly get any response.

There are [post=http://www.letmatch.co.uk/landlords/ecom/rmad/letmatchplus.asp]websites/agents that you can go through that allow you to have your property on Rightmove under their name but you have your conatct details so any leads come staright to you, though this costs £25. However, I still feel gumtree is the best. One thing to remember with gumtree is the keep bumping your ad so its stays on first page otherwise if its demoted down to page 5 you'll find enquiries may ease off a bit.

Mortitia - I get enquiries from all sort of nationalities and Polish and lots also advertise on gumtree. Sometimes people with good credit check and UK history can become slack in their ways. I've just taken on 3 international teaching assistants with no credit check but did get reference from where they work and they seem fine all rent paid on time.

Good Luck.

Hi CH1,

No doubt you are much more experienced than me at tenant choosing.

I am glad that someone is more outgoing than myself regarding foreigners but I just try to tick as many boxes as possible to get the right tenant and avoid the more chancey situations. You are quite right - things can go wrong even with a good credit rating tenant and recently I have rented to a couple where the guy is bankcrupt but has a good employment record with a firm I know well.

Mortitia

• 3 weeks later...

Archived